Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Polar Dash 5k

It was cold...really cold.  It snowed last night...make that snowed and iced.  I woke up and went, "Whose dumb idea was this anyway?!?"  Oh, yeah...mine...

The roads were crummy on the way there, so I was worried what the course would be like.  After much debate on what to wear, I elected to wear both my pink zip-up (for insulation) and my Monster Series windbreaker (to keep the wind off).  In addition to my ear muffs, I wore a headband over them and then a thing to keep my neck warm.

Before Heading to the Start, Sans Bright Pink Neck Warmer

We headed to pee and the line was long, as per usual.  I thought I was going to pee my pants, but I made it in the port-o-potty in time.  I did my thang, adjusted my knee strap, and we headed to the parking ramp to try to keep as warm as possible for the next 35 minutes.

Once it was our turn to line up (after the 10k and Half had taken off), we waddled over to the start.  I asked Jason what the course was like because I hadn't looked.  He said it climbed a bit to the turn around, but then it was mostly downhill on the way back.

An Icy Cold Run Along the Mississippi

FYI...he was wrong!  Okay, he was partially right, as the elevation did climb, but it was probably the most hilly course I have run and the one with the largest change of elevation.

I knew before I hit .5 miles that it was going to be an awful race.  I had tears in my eyes the entire time, as pain surged through my knee with just about every step.  My feet were so numb that I couldn't feel if my toe was hurting, but my knee was surely doing enough for my whole body.  At the turnaround, I wasn't too far behind Jen and Jason.  Jason saw me and asked if I was okay.  All I could do was mouth, "It's really bad," but I kept running.

I told myself going into this race that I would do whatever I had to do to run the entire thing, even if it meant blowing out my knee and gimp-hop-running across the finish.  I forced myself to focus on my music, the course, the other runners...anything, but my knee.  Eventually, I saw the finish approaching.  I wanted to sprint the last portion, but I knew that if I did, I may not even get to the finish, so I kept my pace up as best I could.  When I was able to see the timing clock, I had to look twice.  I crossed the finish line, stopped my own timer and gimped forward to go get my medal.  I then realized...

I BROKE THE 30 MINUTE MARK AND GOT A NEW PERSONAL RECORD!!!

My timer said 29:04 and knowing I did it while injured just reaffirmed in my mind that what I am doing...the running...it is changing me and my body.  I can do this.

I met up with Jason, got finisher medal (which is awesome) and then we went to find Jen.

Who Got A Medal and A New PR??? This Girl!
We got our food bags and hot chocolate and we tottled back to the car.  I was happy with my performance.  Period.  No...not despite my injury.  I think a new PR, no matter when you do it, is something to be proud of.

1 Monster Dash Series race done for 2012.  4 to go.

1 race out of at least 12 done for 2012.  11 to go.

I can do this.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment