Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful - Paying It Forward

11.15.12

I'm thankful for being given the opportunity and ability to do a good deed and pay it forward.  After eating dinner alone at a bar before meeting my family for a football game downtown, I was putting my extras in my car when I was approached by a gentleman saying, "Ma'am," and trying to get my attention.  As he came closer, he said, "I'm not a bad guy" probably assuming I was worried, as I was alone and it was getting dark.  I shut my door and walked toward him.  He told me a story I'd heard a million times...he had "taken a bus from Kansas City" and needed" $22 to get to the shelter" and was there anything I could spare.  Being honest, I told him I had only credit cards and that I was sorry I couldn't help him.  He looked at my car and asked about my leftovers.  I immediately said, "OF COURSE!", opened my car, grabbed them and gave them to him.  He smiled as I apologized for not having more to give him.  He thanked me and I told him good luck in getting where he needed to be.

As I walked away, I was happy that I could actually help someone.  On the other hand, it was probably the first time I had heard "that" story and wished that I had some cash to actually give the man.  Most times, if you don't have money, they don't want anything to do with you.  However, him asking for my extra food...it tugged on my heart strings and made me realize that there are people out there with "those" stories that are actually legit.  I'm so lucky that I am fortunate enough to be able to have leftovers to be able to give someone and I hope that I continue to be that lucky and get to do things like that.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment