Thursday, June 7, 2012

2012 Minneapolis Half Marathon

I will simply start out by saying this race was pure Hell...and I don't make that statement lightly...

I stayed at Jason's the night before and we got up bright and early at 5 a.m. (okay...I was awake before 4:30...).  We got ready (I had a nice 10 minute coughing fit...great way to start the day...) and headed out to pick up Jen from her parking spot and then went to our parking spot to get ready and take our usual before-race photos.

The "Before" Shot
After parking and taking our quick pictures, we headed across the Stone Arch Bridge for a quick stop at the Port-A-Potties and then getting ready at the starting line.

We waited for what seemed like forever.  We could feel the heat quickly rising and we knew it was going to be a hot run.  They started letting the Half Marathoners go in waves.  After about ten minutes, we finally crossed the starting line and we were on our way.

After about a mile, I knew I was in trouble.  My knee was starting to bug me and I was having trouble breathing already.  While in Europe, I caught some sort of cold bug and hadn't been able to kick it.  By 1.5 miles, I told Jason I was having trouble breathing and had to walk.  I told him to keep going, so he wished me well and I slowed to walk.  My nose was full of mucus and I had a major coughing fit, trying to clear my lungs.  It didn't help.  From that point forward, I figured I wouldn't finish, but quickly developed a plan to run for two songs and walk for one.

This worked for a while, but fizzled into run one song walk one song.  My lungs and their goo weren't cooperating, so it turned into "speed-walk-like-a-mofo-and-jog-when-you-can-force-yourself".  I took my first gel at the mile 4 water stop and it made my stomach do flip flops.  It made the rest of the race miserable.  I knew I was screwed because I couldn't chance taking another gel, even though I really could have used the energy.  I took too much water at one of the later water stops and then thought I was going to throw up from the water sloshing in my stomach every time I ran.  I treasured the shade because I was SO hot (I'm a heat baby...) and dreaded every inch that didn't have any dark spots.

Eventually, I bolted across the finish line, grabbed my medal and water, and made a beeline for the potty (I didn't dare make a pit stop during the race after what happened during the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon).  I got out and gave Lee and Lilly big hugs.  Once we met up with everyone and I recovered for a minute, we headed to the car for the post-race photos.
The "After" Photo...We Looked Better Than We Felt...
Promptly following this photo, I turned to the left and emptied my stomach of it's contents on the grass.  Ever vomited hot water that went in cold?  No fun.

My final results?

My Official Chip Time

Terrible.  At least I finished within three hours...  Better luck next time.  Hopefully, I will not be sick and will not have been out of the country for two weeks prior to the next half...

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment