Thursday, May 10, 2012

2012 Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon

Last Sunday, I ran my first half marathon.

I got up bright and early and got ready.  Lee, Lilly and I piled in the car and headed out to Wayzata, so I could run the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon.

Lilly and I Before the Race

The race started off really well.  I started off with the 2:20:00 pace group, but decided after a few minutes to just take it at my own gentle pace (the 10:41 per mile pace felt really slow to start off).  I just kind of went with what I felt was good for me.  The miles were flying by until about mile 7, I knew I had to make a pee stop at the mile 8.8 water/pee stop.  Well, I stopped to pee and there were only 5 people in line...which made me assume 4 minutes...tops.  Wrong.  I waited in line for about 7 minutes, got in and took 30 seconds to pee, then took off again.  I struggled after that...big time.  Iran until mile 10 and then had to walk...something I promised myself I wouldn't do.  I just couldn't pick it up after that, which totally broke my heart.  I had some digestive issues between miles 10 and 13...I couldn't run more than 1/4 mile before I'd have to walk a little to keep myself from...messing myself.

Me Around Mile 12
I was super bummed that it didn't go as planned...especially being set up to finish under 2:20:00, but it is what it is.  I finished it!

FINISHED
My official time was 2:32:28.26.  My iPod says I did it in 2:25:44 (that is minus the 7 minute bathroom pit stop).  All in all, it was okay.  Very humid, but it didn't thunderstorm.  Oh!  And when I got to the finish, Tammy, Tony and Chasey were there to surprise me.  And Lilly and Lee got to give me my medal.



If you are interested in my splits, here they are (unofficial):

Unofficial Splits

My Token Finisher Photo

And want to see something funny?  Click HERE!





1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I just wanted to say CONGRATS on finishing your first half marathon!! Are you running Women Rock at all?? It looks like a fun race! :-)

    ReplyDelete