Monday, October 22, 2012

Update Shmupdate

In five days I will be running the Monster Dash Half Marathon.  It will be the fifth and final race in me and Jason's 2012 Monster Race Series and my third half marathon.  I was totally pumped for months...knowing that I would definitely PR for this one...get in under 2:30 even!  Now, I'm getting more and more worried.

My knee has been bad.  And I don't mean my normal nagging pain...I mean pretty bad.  I've had some trouble lately with it buckeling and just general pain.  Saturday evening, after our housewarming party and being on my feet all day, I could barely hobble to the couch to put it up.  I was supposed to do a 5-8 mile run with Jason on Sunday morning, but I was just too scared and my knee was still bugging me.  Lee thinks I tore something and should see a doctor.  Coming from the guy who has had two knee surgeries (ACL and meniscus)...do I listen?  I'm thinking that I wait until Monday to make an appointment.  There is NO WAY that I'm chancing being told I cannot run on Saturday.

Here is my attack plan for this week:
  • Run a few 3-5 milers
  • Chill out with my knee up
  • Do a little heat and ice
  • Eat well to help combat the lack of running
I'm still super hopeful that I will do decent in this race, but we will see.  I'll make sure I am prepped great the night before and super ready to just go in the morning, so I can be in downtown St. Paul well before the 8:30 start.  I am confident that I can force myself to at least do better than when I was injured and on my deathbed for the Minneapolis Half Marathon, eh?

Wish me luck and all that jazz.  We are looking at 45° F for a high on Saturday...so I'm sure the early morning will be nice and frosty.  I need to go purchase a new pair of running capris since my old ones are far too big.  Hmm...here we go.  Countdown begins!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment